Thursday, June 26, 2008

Inspiration

"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

How many of us sit around waiting for the "right time" to do something? It's easy to put off what needs to be done or what should be done, but before you know it the "right time" passes us by.

I'm not preaching, merely observing - mostly from behind my own picture window. OK, I don't have a picture window, but if I did you'd see I definitely don't take the bull by the proverbial horns in every area of my life.

Take my living room - well, take any room in my house right now, but let's focus on the living room. I have 4 dog beds and a half dozen stuffed dog toys on one couch with a casually strewn denim jacket. Next to the couch is a rubbermaid container of stuff that needs sorting, my sewing machine waiting to be used and a 2 foot pile of material waiting to be sewn into more dog beds for an upcoming fundraiser.

The rug needs to be vacuumed, the floor needs to be swept and mopped, there are 2 boxes of books that need to be taken to the used book store for credit, a basket of linen that has been waiting to be sorted and stashed for several weeks now, and I have a grand total of six pairs of shoes in this one room.

Now, don't even get me started on the kitchen...

I guess what I need to learn is that my inspiration to begin something should not be a result of my lack of prior motivation that has resulted in a situation of which I am ashamed. I use excuses to put off what needs to be done: I'm too tired, I worked hard today and don't have the energy, I want to spend time with Aaron, the dogs will just mess it up again anyway...

If I can't keep my life organized behind my picture window, can I really make a difference to anyone else on the outside? It's time to let my actions inspire me daily to better my environment, better my health, better my relationships and create change.

Is that hokey? Maybe, but I feel better...and inspired.

2 comments:

unicornplus2 said...

So you have great insight, but insight without action is just wasted energy. Have you cleaned your livingroom yet?

Jeanne said...

hahaha!! I vacuumed and picked some stuff up. But it hasn't made much of a difference. Preaching and speculating is so much easier than doing.